On February 12, 1915 a group of ardent followers of Christ assembled and agreed to organize a church to worship God and spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. The church was named Thankful Baptist and located on West Russell Street. Charter members in- cluded Lizzie B. Graham, Minnie Benyard, Laura Delaney, Dea. and Mrs. Carley, Dea. Evans, and Dea. Orr; J.W. Edwards, Pastor.

In August 1965 under the leadership of the Rev. E.D. Brooks, the church was rebuilt and moved to its present site. Over our history a total of 13 ministers have served at the helm of Thankful Missionary Baptist Church and led the members in purchasing a parsonage, renovating the present sanctuary, and adding the J.W. Williams Educational Building in honor and now in memory of our late pastor, Joseph W. Williams.

On May 2, 1999 Frederick Alan Fearbry was installed as Pastor. Under his inspired leadership numerous "firsts" were established, including licensing the first female minister, performing the first public catechization of deacons and ministers, establishing the first official church logo, the first formal Bible Discovery Hour for adults and youth, the first weekly Television Broadcast entitled "Give God the Glory", the first Internet Website, and the accreditation of the First Annual Christian Leadership School.

On November 28, 2009, God in His infinite wisdom and divine love, called from our midst our Devoted Pastor, Master Teacher, Committed Evangelist, Dr. Frederick Alan Fearbry. He was an innovative and resolute leader, and we shall miss his pastoral vision and loving spirit.

After the congregation labored for nine months through prayer and fasting, God sent us a Pastor: Paul Anthony Sheppard, who was installed on November 14, 2010. We welcome Thankful´s Under-"Sheppard," First Lady Esther Sheppard and their son Justin.